Monday, March 3, 2008

No good excuse.

Lately I've been trying to put things into perspective. I tend to overlook and underthink some things in life and that needs to change. It's so easy to just go on with life and not think about the things I should change, when really they are so simple. For example, I went out tonight to buy some things to put together a couple Easter baskets so that our church can take them to people at the rescue mission here in town. As I walked the aisles and looked at all the things I would love to buy for people I wanted to buy everything I saw. Then came the money part. Then I backed off a little, but WHY? I have no good excuse. Then I thought of the rediculous amounts of money I spend on other things...my car, clothes, internet, phones, etc. At that point I decided I was going to buy whatever I thought would be nice for the people I had chosen to buy for, which happened to be a woman and a young boy. I really tried to think of things that might light up their faces, and it felt really good. It made me want to help out like this more often than we do, which is usually around Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. There are people in need all year that are far less fortunate than the majority of us, and I should help out more since I have the opportunity.

"Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver." 2 Cor. 9:7

I suppose that would be my lesson to myself for today...

No comments: