Sunday, March 9, 2008

once upon a time...

After just breaking off an engagement, I had decided I was better off single. Sometimes it seems like just when you have things all figured out, God has something else in mind...and it's always something better. Then there came this thing called Myspace. It was neat, despite the creepy guys that would track me down and ask if we could meet. I would always decline and block them. Then one day I got a message from a southern boy. He was new to town and was wondering if I knew of a good church in town since he saw that I attended one. I figured God would be pretty upset if I let this one slide by, so of course I replied. We spent more than 15 hours total just talking online, and getting to know each other as friends. We had a lot in common. I had decided I wasn't jumping into another relationship any time soon, so when he wanted to meet me, I saw no reason not to. We met at Hastings-a public place just to be safe. It was May 8, 2006. He was a sweet southern boy. Very polite and such a gentleman. An only child, but not spoiled. I quickly fell in love with him, even though I had already decided against it. We went to church together for the first time on May 14, 2006. I decided I still wasn't ready for a serious relationship, so we held off seeing each other for a few weeks. We next hung out again on June 7, 2006. We were officially dating by the end of June. He asked me to marry him on July 7, 2006. We went through premarital counseling (which, for those who haven't gone through it, makes you more sure of whether or not you should marry the other person). My dad was upset at the fact of me even dating again at that time (I was 20.) We hadn't set a date, we just decided that whenever we got finished with the counseling, we would get married right after that.

As it got closer we had decided September 16th, 2006 would be the right time. We both informed our parents. His were ecstatic. They immediately bought plane tickets from Virginia to Montana. Mine on the other hand were furious. My dad, to whom before this conversation had always viewed me as his straight-A, perfect, only daughter who could never do anything wrong, blew up at me. He told me that I shouldn't be thinking about marriage, I should be going to college AGAIN because he said I would never be rich as a dental assistant. Money means a lot to that man. He had met Jay several times, yet failed to give him the time of day or even try to get to know him. He knew the date, the time, the location, yet he didn't show up that day. It was the best day of my life, yet somewhat bittersweet. I was stunned that he didn't show, and I still am to this day.

We didn't talk for months. Then one day around Valentine's Day he decided he had been a jerk long enough, and he called me to apologize. He wanted to made amends. Funny how when I was about to marry the wrong person he was all for it, but now that I knew what I wanted, it wasn't okay. A few months later we had a reception for everyone to celebrate our wedding. It was a good time, I guess.

The past year and a half ago has been the best time of my life. We have a marriage like no other, and unbreakable trust which not many can claim. I am so blessed and could not ask for a better man to share the rest of my life with. I am so excited for our future together-children, vacations, times with family, etc. Who knows where the USAF will take us, but at this point, we've found out who our real friends/family are. If we have each other, that's all we will need-no matter where life takes us.

No comments: